Get Started - FIS
To obtain an FIS certificate, you must have an Exostar’s Managed Access Gateway (MAG) account. For more information on Exostar's IAM Platform access and credentials , please see Exostar's Managed Access Gateway (MAG) page.
Step 2. Complete User Registration
Step 3. FIS Administrator Authorization
Step 5. Certificate Download
Step 6. Hardware Token Installation
Exostar's Federated Identity Service (FIS) issues digital certificates for the following levels of assurance in compliance with the CertiPath (the PKI cross-certification bridge) policies:
- Basic Level of Assurance Certificates (BLOA)
- Basic Level of Assurance Certificates (BLOA)-SecureEmail
- Medium Level of Assurance (MLOA) Software Digital Certificates
- Medium Level of Assurance (MLOA) Hardware Digital Certificates
Exostar also issues the MLOA Software and MLOA Hardware certificates for the following validity periods:
- 1 year
- 3 years
NOTE: You are invoiced and must pay prior to issuance of MLOA certificates.
As a user you are required to provide the FIS Administrator with the right information to make an approval decision for your certificate request. As an FIS Administrator (FISA), you are required to approve users for the appropriate certificate based on their project requirements. Your organization may incur costs associated with the FIS certificates. In the table below, the top row represents the various attributes you are required to select for the certificate request to guide you to make the appropriate decision:
Partner / Application
Certificate Assurance Level
|Certificate Usage||Certificate Type||Validity Period||Request Reason|
|BAE Systems||Medium||N/A||Software||3 years or 1 year||Select any based on your project requirement.|
3 years or 1 year
|Access Application or any other as required|
|Secure Email||Software||1 year||Sign & Encrypt Email|
|Exostar ForumPass - US||Basic||Identity||Software||1 year||Access Application or any other as required|
|Exostar ForumPass - EU||Basic||Identity||Software||1 year||Access Application or any other as required|
|Northrup Grumman - OASIS||Medium||N/A||Hardware||3 years or 1 year||Access Application or any other as required|
IMPORTANT: It is very important you select the correct Partner/Application to ensure you are invoiced (as required) correctly for the certificates.
The following information provides additional guidance in selecting an appropriate certificate if your application is not listed above:
- FIS BASIC: A user receives only an identity certificate if this option is selected. An example of the use of this certificate is to access the sensitive sites in the ForumPass application.
- FIS BASIC-SecureEmail: A user receives three certificates they are primarily used for sending encrypted emails.
- FIS MLOA Software: To receive FIS MLOA Software certificates, a user must complete an in-person proofing with an Exostar Trusted Agent provided by NotaryGo or Verify Europe. A user may need these certificates for access to partner sites. You or the user should receive feedback from the partner organization/Exostar on the specifics of the FIS certificates to use.
- FIS MLOA Hardware: For FIS MLOA Hardware certificates, you must complete an in-person proofing with an Exostar Trusted Agent provided by NotaryGo or Verify Europe. A user may need these certificates to access partner sites. In addition. a user requires a hardware token issued by Exostar to maintain these certificates. You or the user should receive feedback from the partner organization/Exostar on the specifics of the FIS certificates to use.
NOTE: Your organization must subscribe for FIS MLOA (Software) or MLOA (Hardware) for users to request these certificates. If your organization is not subscribed at the appropriate assurance level, refer to the MAG User Training page and MAG User Guide for information on upgrading your organization's FIS account.
IMPORTANT: If your organization is approved for both FIS Basic and MLOA (Software), select the appropriate level of assurance for the user based on their requirements. For detailed step-by-step information on how to approve a user's FIS request, refer to the Learn FIS page.There may be additional costs associated with FIS MLOA (Software) for the proofing activity.